Learn how to apply for our 2022 scholarships.
The Community Foundation of the Verdugos manages scholarship funds that have been created from the charitable hearts of those who are no longer with us as well as by those who currently wish to make a difference in the educational pursuits of others.
- “Big Man Fritsche” Scholarship Leonard Fritsche was a long-time resident of Glendale and La Crescenta. He was known by many as “The Big Man.” This award is for a student who resides in and is graduating from a public/private high school in the Verdugo Region (Burbank, Glendale, foothill communities of Sunland, Tujunga, La Crescenta, La Canada-Flintridge, Montrose, and Verdugo City) and is pursuing a vocational study (career technical path with examples that include woodworking, auto mechanics, plumbing, landscaping, dental hygienist, vet tech, electrical, cosmetology, culinary arts, etc.).
- Dr. John & Mae Benjamin Scholarship benefits a student pursuing a medical career.
- Christopher A. Burrows Memorial Scholarship is for a student who resides in La Canada-Flintridge or La Crescenta, and is graduating in June from a high school in La Canada Flintridge or La Crescenta.
- Dellinger Scholarship honors Judith and Ernest Dellinger and benefits high school seniors graduating from a Burbank Unified School District school.
- The First Christian Church of Glendale Scholarship is awarded to students who profess a belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and their personal Savior. The student must be a graduating senior and a U.S. Citizen. Student must show proof of a residency in the Glendale, La Crescenta, La Cañada Flintridge, Montrose, Verdugo City, Sunland or Tujunga area, even if attending other area private or public high schools.
- Glendale Latino Association Scholarship requires that a student have Latino heritage and be graduating from a Glendale Unified School District public/private high school or Allan F. Daily Continuation High School.
- Gonzales Harris Bilingual Scholarship was created by three sisters who valued education. Students must be graduating from a public or private high school in Burbank, Glendale, and the foothill communities of Sunland, Tujunga, La Crescenta, La Cañada Flintridge, Montrose, and Verdugo City (Verdugo Region), have a minimum overall 3.5 GPA, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship and be able to demonstrate fluency in both Spanish and English.
- John & Elsie Krikorian / Women Achievers Journalism Scholarship was established in memory of the founders of Business Life Magazine and is for students studying journalism, marketing or business.
- Frank & Ann Leone Scholarship honors a graduating senior of Glendale High School.
- The Sambar Scholarship Endowment gives awardees who are graduating from a Glendale Unified School District area public or private high school with “a little hand up” in their college goals.
- Tuesday Afternoon Club Scholarship is offered to a student graduating from one of the following Glendale area high schools: Allan F. Daily Continuation High School, Crescenta Valley High School, Glendale High School and Herbert Hoover High School.
Application Deadline for the 2022-2023 school term is March 2, 2022.
Applications not completed by March 2, 2022 will not be considered.
Please click on the link below to begin your online application process. Applications may be started and saved online if you are unable to complete it in one sitting. However, all information, including attachments, transcripts and letters of recommendation must be submitted and the application completed/finished by the end of March 2, 2022.
Your scholarship application will need:
- Personal Essay – You can get this ready beforehand. You may also use an essay already written for a college application if the topic of your essay fits the requirement of a particular scholarship you are eligible for.
- Financial Aid – A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for most of the scholarships – there are some that don’t require this and a FAFSA would not be needed in consideration for those awards.
- Academic Transcripts – Again, most of the scholarships will require this but a few do not. For those that don’t require this information, you will not need to complete this requirement.
- Confidential Recommendation Letter – You will be asked to provide the name and email address for someone who can provide a Recommendation Letter. The letter may be from a teacher, coach, employer, guidance counselor or other.
- Additional Materials – You may be asked to upload additional materials required by the specific scholarship opportunity that you are applying for.
- Interview – Some scholarships may require an interview; you will find this information once you are in the application system.
Remember to plan ahead! All information, including attachments, transcripts and letters of recommendation must be submitted and the application completed/finished by the end of March 2, 2022.
We wish you the best with your post-secondary educational goals. Click the link below to begin your application:
We’re here to help. Email us with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMMUNITY COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS
Learn about GCC’s 2022 scholarship opportunities.
Our community college scholarship program is available through Glendale Community College (GCC). Please visit the Scholarship Office on the GCC campus or contact them at (818) 240-1000 ext. 5591 for information on applying.
Chuck Benedict Memorial Journalism Scholarship recognizes the late Chuck Benedict who was a well-known sports broadcaster in the Los Angeles area. His wife Fran and sons Rick and Steve established this fund to recognize an aspiring journalism student who is pursuing a specific interest in sports journalism.
Tuesday Afternoon Club Scholarship is intended for a student in the GCC re-entry program who shows a potential for achievement, success, and self-motivation.
Shirley & Joel Youngquist Nursing Scholarship memorializes Shirley’s long career in the field of nursing. It is intended for a student in the GCC nursing program who has had residency in Glendale, La Canada-Flintridge, La Crescenta, Montrose or Verdugo City for the past three years.
March 25, 2022 is the application deadline for these GCC Scholarship Awards
Visit the Scholarship Office on the GCC campus or contact them at
(818) 240-1000 ext. 5591 for more information.
Application requirements are also available at