Learn how to apply for our 2018 scholarships.
The Community Foundation of the Verdugos manages scholarship funds that have been created from the charitable hearts of those who are no longer with us as well as by those who currently wish to make a difference in the educational pursuits of others. Here are some of the funds managed by the CFV:
- Dr. John & Mae Benjamin Scholarship benefits a student pursuing a medical career.
- Christopher A. Burrows Memorial Scholarship is for a student who resides in La Canada-Flintridge, La Crescenta, Montrose or Verdugo City and is graduating in June 2018 from a high school in La Canada Flintridge or La Crescenta.
- Dellinger Scholarship honors Judith and Ernest Dellinger and benefits high school seniors graduating from a Burbank Unified School District school.
- Glendale Latino Association Scholarship requires that a student have Latino heritage and be graduating from a Glendale Unified School District public/private high school or Allan F. Daily Continuation High School.
- Gonzales Harris Bilingual Scholarship was created by three sisters who valued education. This award is for graduating public/private high school seniors of the Verdugo region planning to attend a community/four-year college or career technical school who are US Citizens fluent in Spanish.
- John & Elsie Krikorian Journalism Scholarship was established in memory of the founders of Business Life Magazine and is for students studying journalism, marketing or business.
- Frank & Ann Leone Scholarship honors a graduating senior of Glendale High School.
- The Sambar Scholarship Endowment gives awardees who have graduated from a Glendale Unified School District area public or private high school with “a little hand up” in their college goals.
- Tuesday Afternoon Club Scholarship is offered to a student graduating from a private or public high school within the Glendale Unified School District.
Application Deadline for the 2018-2019 school term is March 2, 2018.
Applications not completed by March 2, 2018 will not be considered.
Please click on the link below to begin your online application process. Applications may be started and saved online if you are unable to complete it in one sitting. However, all information, including attachments, must be submitted and the application completed/finished by the end of March 2, 2018.
Your scholarship application will need:
- Personal Essay – You can get this ready beforehand. You may also use an essay already written for a college application if the topic of your essay fits the requirement of a particular scholarship you are eligible for.
- Financial Aid – A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for most of the scholarships – there are some that don’t require this and a FAFSA would not be needed in consideration for those awards.
- Academic Transcripts – Again, most of the scholarships will require this but a few do not. For those that don’t require this information, you will not need to complete this requirement.
- Confidential Recommendation Letter – You will be asked to provide the name and email address for someone who can provide a Recommendation Letter. The letter may be from a teacher, coach, employer, guidance counselor or other.
- Additional Materials – You may be asked to upload additional materials required by the specific scholarship opportunity that you are applying for.
- Interview – Some scholarships may require an interview; you will find this information once you are in the application system.
- Scholarship Recognition Event – We ask that all awardees attend our event scheduled for Saturday, May 19, 2018.
We wish you the best with your post-secondary educational goals. Click the link below to begin your application:
We’re here to help. Email us with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMMUNITY COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS
Learn about GCC’s 2017 scholarship opportunities.
Our community college scholarship program is available through Glendale Community College (GCC). Please visit the Scholarship Office on the GCC campus or contact them at (818) 240-1000 ext. 5591 for information on applying.
Chuck Benedict Memorial Journalism Scholarship recognizes the late Chuck Benedict who was a well-known sports broadcaster in the Los Angeles area. His wife Fran and sons Rick and Steve established this fund to recognize an aspiring journalism student who is pursuing a specific interest in sports journalism.
Tuesday Afternoon Club Scholarship is intended for a student in the GCC re-entry program who shows a potential for achievement, success, and self-motivation.
Shirley & Joel Youngquist Nursing Scholarship memorializes Shirley’s long career in the field of nursing. It is intended for a student in the GCC nursing program who has had residency in Glendale, La Canada-Flintridge, La Crescenta, Montrose or Verdugo City for the past three years.
March 22, 2018 is the application deadline for these GCC Scholarship Awards
Visit the Scholarship Office on the GCC campus or contact them at
(818) 240-1000 ext. 5591 for more information.
Application requirements are also available at